Skip to content

Immigration Process

Study permits

    A study permit is something you apply for that gives you special permission to study in Canada. If your study permit is approved, you will get a document from the department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

    Work permits

      If you are a refugee claimant and you are 15 years old or older, you can apply to get a work permit to work in Canada. If you want to work in Canada, you need a valid work permit. If you are under 18 years old, the application will ask for your parent or guardian to sign.

      Understanding legal terms

        When you are going through refugee or immigration processes, you might hear legal words that are difficult to understand. It is important to learn what these words mean so that you understand what you need to do and what your rights are.

        Processing Times

          It takes time for the government to look at immigration applications. Sometimes it takes longer than you hope. The time that it takes is always changing. Different applications take different amounts of time.

          Understanding different immigration categories

            There are different ways that people can “get status” or stay in Canada. These are some of the categories: Refugee Claim, Humanitarian and Compassionate Application, Temporary Residence Statuses