Skip to content

Applying for a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA)

What is a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment or PRRA?

The PRRA is a paper application to the Canadian Government where you explain why you will be in danger if you have to leave Canada to return to your country.

Who can apply for a PRRA?


People who have to leave Canada, or are being deported, can sometimes apply for a PRRA


You can only apply for a PRRA if the Canada Border Services Agencies (CBSA) calls you in and gives you a PRRA. This is not an application that anyone can just download from the government website and send it.

If you got a negative decision on your refugee claim, you likely have to wait one year before you are allowed to apply for a PRRA.

You will also have to include information or evidence in your PRRA that is new or different from what you said in your refugee application

What should I do if CBSA calls me in and gives me a PRRA?

Can I be deported if I am waiting for a PRRA decision?

No! You cannot be deported if you sent in a PRRA application and you are waiting for a decision.

However, CBSA might try to deport you in the one-year waiting time before you are allowed to apply for a PRRA.

If CBSA calls you in for an interview about leaving Canada, you should get legal help.

What happens if my PRRA is accepted?

If your PRRA is accepted, you will become a Protected Person. This means that you can stay in Canada. It also means that you will be able to apply to be a Permanent Resident.

What happens if my PRRA is rejected?

If your PRRA is rejected, CBSA will tell you that you must leave Canada.

Can I appeal a negative PRRA decision?


You have the right do a Judicial Review of your PRRA decision. This means that a judge from the Federal Court of Canada will look at the decision and see if they think there was a mistake.

What will happen?

If you are successful in your Judicial Review, it means that a new immigration officer will look at your PRRA application and make a decision. They might make a positive or a negative decision.

You could be ordered to leave Canada, even while you are waiting for your Judicial Review to finish. If this happens, you can ask your lawyer to make another application for you to stay in Canada until your Judicial Review is decided.

Read more about the PRRA on this website