How do I get my first Driver’s License in Ontario?
• You can apply to get your driver’s license if you are 16 years or older.
• You have to start with a G1, or a learner’s license. To get a G1 , you will need to write a test. You can write the test in different languages, not only English or French.
Can I drive a car on my own with my G1 license?
No! You can only drive a car with someone who has their G license (full license) who has been driving for at least 4 years.
What comes after a G1?
• A G2 license!
• To get this license, you need to do a road test. This means that someone from Drive Test Ontario will go with you in a car, will tell you what to do and where to go and will decide if you are a good enough driver to get a license.
• Before taking the test, you can practice driving with someone who has their G license (full license) who has been driving for at least 4 years.
• You might want to take driving lessons with a driving school or teacher so you are ready to take the driving test.
How do I get my full license?
• The last step is the full G license. You will need to do another road test for this license.
• You have to have your G2 for one year before you can take this road test.
Why should I get my license?
• It is your decision if you want to get your driver’s license
• You can use your license as identification, instead of the Ontario ID
• There are some jobs that you might want to apply for that require a driver’s license, such as a driver for a company like Uber or a food delivery driver. Some companies require you to have a full G license for certain jobs.
Go to this website to learn more about getting your driver’s license in Ontario.